Tuesday 28 August 2012

Sleep tight!

I often have problems sleeping. I can dose off but at about 3am my eyes seem to react to light or noise (or a bathroom call) and I find the starter motor in my brain revving up. I have to remind myself that this is not the time to be planning next year's holiday / deciding what to wear tomorrow / worrying about whether bisque tint was the right colour choice for the new property's back bedroom. Even though I don't always get a full night's sleep, I rarely, if ever, worry about our property portfolio. In fact I seem to have mastered the art of not getting too worked up about money - full stop. Perhaps this is a gift, perhaps it is an attitude, or perhaps it is the blessing of the ignorant! I am grateful that I don't worry about money and that I believe that if it all went disastrously wrong, we'd still be OK.


Perhaps we assume that it is normal to worry about money much of the time, and that that demonstrates responsibility and good stewardship. Actually I think worrying about money does only one thing - make you more worried. Worrying about it will do no good! I have never worried about something so much that it changed the situation. It just made me more anxious as I considered all of the other things that might go wrong as a result. In fact worrying has the effect of causing petrification - quite the opposite reaction that is needed if you wish to alter your circumstances.

Education in money and finance and property is so important if you are going to arm yourself with the skills needed to be not only successful in property, but also to be peaceful!

The ability to sleep well at night comes from knowing that you have planned for emergencies by having the necessary 'PLAN B' up your sleeve. And knowing what your 'end-stop' will be should everything go wrong. There are many ways you can educate yourself about money and finance and one of the best books that many property investors refer to is 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' By Robert Kiyosaki. I think it's a tremendous book that is very insightful and tremendously inspiring. It has certainly helped me assess my attitude to money - one of the fundamental necessities if you are going to be successful financially. It made me realise that I have at times made money my god, and not seen it as another resource that the good Lord gave for us to use!

Arm yourself with knowledge and learning for then you will find something more than you had before - and that something will catapult you into the future you hope for.

Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
Conrad Hilton
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Theodore Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment