Monday 15 July 2013

System addict

Man realising what his business has been missing

Do you remember that Five Star song 'System Addict'  from the eighties?! (Showing my age aren't I?) I used to think they were saying 'Systematic'. And it's this phrase that is now beginning to regularly run round my mind when I consider what I need to do to create a business that will work smoothly and cost-effectively.

If you look at any well-run business, there is a system in place. It may be hamburgers, clothes, cars or paint - whatever the product, if the business is to be successful, you must develop a system to ensure the fastest and most effective way of getting the product into the customers hands, and getting the customer's money into your hands!

Although property is not exactly a commodity, nor is it a product, I still consider what I'm doing to be developing a business. There is a transaction between myself and the tenants; there is a contract; there are responsibilities on either side. If I am professional, organised, law-abiding, ethical and also nice (a four-letter word not often used by tenants) then I know that I am presenting the business in the right way. After all, in sales you learn that 'people buy people first'. Right now, I am the face of my business. So I need tenants to 'buy me' first.

After that though, there needs to be a system to underpin all that I'm doing. Otherwise paperwork will get lost, deposits won't be filed on time and in the right place (the DPS) and I won't know when rents are due and tenancies have elapsed. Without these important pieces of information logged and routinised (is that a word?) I could easily miss vital actions such as chasing rent arrears or repaying deposits.

I am NOT someone who a) enjoys creating systems (nor is very good at it either - probably because I don't like it) and b) is very good at sticking to systems (it all seems so repetitive and frankly, dull). But I know that right now, just like cleaning my teeth twice a day, I have to develop workable and effective systems to make this business effective. So, Five Star - I doubt I'll ever be a SYSTEM ADDICT - but perhaps I can be a bit more SYSTEMATIC.

(Another helpful article can be found here: http://www.boxtheorygold.com/blog/bid/18628/Six-Qualities-of-Highly-Effective-Business-Systems)

No comments:

Post a Comment