Sunday 16 September 2012

The little black book

Euphemistically known as the 'little black book', your list of people who can help you in your property business will become invaluable over time. I manage mine electronically - Google contacts is such an invaluable tool - particularly as it is synchronised to my phone on a regular basis! That way I always have to hand the number of an electrician, plumber or general D-I-Y person who can deal with a property problem as it arises. If I need to ask a question about mortgages, I have the numbers of a couple of mortgage consultants I trust. If I have a legal question, the details of my solicitor are ready and available (much to his dismay)!

In fact the other week, I was at our local Wacky Warehouse giving my youngest son a chance to let off steam with some of his friends, when a call came in from one of our tenants saying that water was leaking from the bathroom and dripping onto the hall below. There was a light fitting situated near the water leak and the tenant was understandably concerned about the risk. I couldn't escape the clutches of the ball pool, having found myself in there playing referee to about 5 boys and their superhero fantasies, so I pulled out my trusty Nokia, dialled the number of a certain guy I know, and hey presto! he was on the case!

An hour and a half later, he called me with a progress report and the solution he'd implemented, while I was happily observing Bat boy flying through the rafters of the padded tunnelling above me. The leak was fixed, the light was safe, and all was well at house number 5. I sipped my latte contentedly, calm in the knowledge that this particular workman is thorough, trustworthy and reliable.

You may have problems bigger than this when managing property
Being organised with your contacts is vital if you too want to have a life and run a business. You might not choose to spend your time at the Wacky Warehouse, but the skill of getting out of that ball pool was a great reminder to me of the necessity of people power when you are stuck in a tight spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment